Pasha Ripley, a speaker organized by the Denver Women’s March, opens up to the crowd about their experiences as a sex worker and why sex work should be decriminalized on the steps to the Colorado State Capitol Oct. 2. Ripley also is an organizer of the Parasol Patrol, which is a community-based organization with a mission statement to shield LGBTQ+ youth from protesters and hate speech. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian) (Collegian | Lucy Morantz)
Pasha Ripley, a speaker organized by the Denver Women’s March, opens up to the crowd about their experiences as a sex worker and why sex work should be decriminalized on the steps to the Colorado State Capitol Oct. 2. Ripley also is an organizer of the Parasol Patrol, which is a community-based organization with a mission statement to shield LGBTQ+ youth from protesters and hate speech. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

Collegian | Lucy Morantz

Denver responds to Texas abortion restrictions

With restrictive abortion laws being contemplated by several states, protesters march against the new regulations.

October 7, 2021

Hundreds of protesters from Denver and surrounding cities and suburbs attended the Denver Women’s March the morning of Saturday, Oct. 2, outside the Colorado State Capitol. Denver’s march was one of more than 620 total events hosted in all 50 states organized to protest the United States Supreme Court’s 5-4 decision to allow the restrictive Texas abortion bill, Senate Bill 8, to go into effect last month. The event featured speakers invited by Women’s March organizers who are active and influential in local and statewide sexuality, gender and political spheres. While there were some pro-life counter-protesters in attendance, their presence was largely ignored by the crowd of marchers until the end of the morning when a few pro-life advocates had to be escorted out of the crowd by volunteers of the Parasol Patrol, a community-based organization with a mission statement to shield LGBTQ+ youth from protesters and hate speech.

• Early in the lineup of speakers, a march-goer holds a sign among the crowd of protesters at the Colorado State Capitol for the Women’s March in reaction to the restrictive abortion bill that went into effect in Texas last month, Oct. 2. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

Collegian | Lucy Morantz
  • A protester yells at two pro-life advocates who came to the Women’s March with megaphones to counter-protest the event Oct. 2. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

Collegian | Lucy Morantz
  • A crowd member and protester snaps for speakers as the rest of the crowd cheers at the Denver Women’s March at the Colorado State Capitol Oct. 2. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

Collegian | Lucy Morantz
  • A protester stands among the crowd watching local gender, sexuality and political leaders and advocates speak on the steps of the Colorado State Capitol Oct. 2. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

Collegian | Lucy Morantz
  • A protester dressed as a handmaid from Margaret Atwood’s 1985 fictional dystopian universe watches speakers outside of the Colorado State Capitol at the Denver Women’s March Oct. 2. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

Collegian | Lucy Morantz
  • The crowd of protesters outside the Colorado State Capitol listens to speakers organized by the Denver Women’s March in reaction to the restrictive Texas abortion bill that went into effect last month, Oct. 2. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

Collegian | Lucy Morantz
  • A march-goer wearing a version of the iconic pussyhat watches speakers on the steps to the Colorado State Capitol while holding a sign comparing mask mandates to restrictive abortion laws Oct. 2. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

Collegian | Lucy Morantz
  • A member of the crowd at the Denver Women’s March holds a wire hanger sign saying, “We won’t go back” over the crowd of protesters Oct. 2. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

Collegian | Lucy Morantz
  • A Women’s March-goer watches speakers at the Colorado State Capitol while holding and rubbing their stomach Oct. 2. (Lucy Morantz | The Collegian)

Collegian | Lucy Morantz

Lucy Morantz can be reached at photo@collegian.com or on Twitter @Lucy_morantz3.