Senior+Colorado+State+University+cross+country+athlete+Lauren+Offerman+poses+for+a+photo+near+The+Oval+at+CSU+Jan.+27%2C+2021++

Collegian | Lucy Morantz

Senior Colorado State University cross country athlete Lauren Offerman poses for a photo near The Oval at CSU Jan. 27, 2021

Rams track and field’s indoor season is underway, here’s what you need to know

January 17, 2023

The Colorado State track and field 2023 indoor season is underway. CSU has competed in three different events so far this season before going into the heart of competition. Some athletes are looking to start their collegiate careers, and some want to finish them strong.

For many, the new year is a chance for change and improvement. It is no different for the CSU track and field team, as they hope to knock their high goals out of the park.

The expectations remain high for the Rams, as during the 2022 season, the women won the Mountain West Championship for the indoor season while finishing as the runner-up for the outdoor. The men’s team also had similar success, finishing as the runner-up in both seasons. Colorado State will need major contributions from both new and returning athletes on the track and on the field.

‘Fresh blood has the culture changing’ for Rams track

Sprints have had some strong performances at the beginning of the season, earning several podium appearances by both men and women.

With indoor track events picking up steam, Colorado State is looking forward to seeing positive progress in time by each athlete with outdoor events coming in March. Rams track will start traveling with the whole team going forward, giving their star athletes plenty of time to prepare for the long season ahead of them.

Graduate student John Fulton, who competes in hurdles, feels like there is a lot to be excited about this year.

“Overall, the feeling of this team is different,” Fulton said. “I’ve been here for five years. We have a very young team, and I think we are a much more talented team. I’m excited — fresh blood has the culture changing. It’s different but not in a bad way.”

The training looks different every day for Rams track. Mondays, they hit the harder workouts with speed-based training followed by lifts; Tuesdays and Thursdays are recovery days; Wednesdays are top speed days; Fridays are meet prep days and Saturdays are usually race days. 

The Rams’ next indoor event is Jan. 20-21 at the Prairie Wolf Invitational and the Mark Colligan Memorial Invitational hosted by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. 

Reach Tyler Azzaro at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TylerAzzaro