Be a part of CSU football, without the pads

Offensive lineman Jared Biard celebrates with teammates after a victory over UTEP on Sept. 28, 2013

Not everyone can play on a Division I sports team, and very few make it past the level of varsity senior year of high school. But, many people still love sports and long to be a part of a team again. The Colorado Sate football program is offering a chance to be a part of something great — off the field.

The team is holding a meeting Tuesday at 6 p.m. in the Thurman “Fum” McGraw center auditorium, located on the bottom floor of the building. Tom Ehlers, director of football operations, will discuss options for anyone who is interested in being a part of the team.

“We have a list of 30-35 people, some of them come up here 15 hours a week, some come up 40 hours a week in the fall,” Ehlers said. “A couple of them get paid, five or six got to go to the bowl game — it’s a big deal for us.”

Ehlers says they need about 150 people to fill mainly volunteer positions, ranging from a 2-hour-a-week commitment to a full-time fulfillment. There are also limited internship and paid work-study positions available. And for those who aren’t willing to make the commute to McGraw, there are options for working at home as well.

The volunteers will be responsible for just about anything from filling envelopes and sending letters to watching film and reviewing highlight videos for potential recruits.

“There is no limit to how much someone can do for our program,” Ehlers says. “We get about 400 videos a week or more, so a lot of our interns will do the initial screening process for recruits. You may not be able to say who can play here but you can definitely say who can’t play here.”

Natalie Stevens has been a part of the program for a couple of years now, working with player personnel. She helps organize events, like the spring game, junior day or planning visits from potential recruits.

She spends an average of 5-6 hours a week, but says the people who spend the most time with the program yield the greatest rewards.

“I want to go into sports relations, so it’s been a really great opportunity to make connections with people who can help me in the future,” Stevens said. “And the office is really awesome and we have a lot of fun.”

Stevens will be at the meeting, and invites anyone who is on the fence to come to the meeting and see what the program is all about. Both Ehlers and Stevens stressed the extreme flexibility of options and skill levels so anyone can join.

“It gets then connected – the ones that are connected, it absolutely changed your college career,” Ehlers said. “And we will train them, we will find a way to get them a job, and every day they help us.”

Collegian Reporter Cali Rastrelli can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @c_rasta5.