Personal fireworks could result in $2,750 fine

Personal fireworks, such as sparklers and snakes, are illegal in Fort Collins and could result in a fine up to $2,750 according to Fort Collins Police. Police began actively enforcing the ban on personal fireworks Wednesday evening and will continue active enforcement until July 6. 

Fort Collins Police are partnering with Poudre Fire Authority to respond to citizen complaints about fireworks, and will also actively patrol neighborhoods that have historically had a large number of complaints. According to Fort Collins Police, the ban is to protect citizens from consumer fireworks.

“Our number one priority is safety of those living in and visiting our community,” said Kevin Cronin, .

The police are asking officers to operate with a zero tolerance policy, meaning if there is probable cause, a citation will be issued.

According to Fort Collins Police, people may not understand the risks associated with fireworks. Risks can include burns, injuries, fires and death.

A view of the Loveland fireworks (Photo credit: Katie Schmidt).
A view of the Loveland fireworks. (Collegian file photo.)

During the Fourth of July last year, 54 people in Fort Collins went to an emergency room with fireworks-related injuries from July 2-7, according to UCHealth.

Dispatchers also received hundreds of firework complaint calls during the holiday last year.

Fort Collins Police encourage people to consider the impacts to the people and animals around them.

“We have many citizens of different backgrounds that may be affected such as pet owners and veterans,” Cronin said. “There are places in the county that are legal to have personal fireworks, so we encourage people to do that instead.”

In past years, animal protections and control dispatchers have been called to pick up dogs that run from the sound of fireworks.

Fort Collins Police are providing free signs that citizens can place in their yards to inform their neighbor that they are either a pet owner or a veteran who may be affected by unexpected personal fireworks.

To request a free sign, contact Kevin Cronin at (970)-416- 2389 or by e-mail at kcronin@fcgov.com.

Pets and alcohol are prohibited at city-sponsored fireworks events.

Collegian News Editor Erin Douglas can be reached at news@collegian.com or on twitter @erinmdouglas23.