4th of July in Fort Collins to include 5k, parade and live music

Independence Day is just around the corner. This Monday, celebrate the “original Brexit” with barbeques, a parade and fireworks throughout Fort Collins.

Start early with the FireKracker 5k citizen’s race at 7:30am. Burn a few calories running a loop around City Park, then stay for the elite race at 8:30am, featuring a $3,500 cash prize. Individuals can register for $30 online at http://firekracker5k.com. Teams of four or more pay $25 each for the race.

If running doesn’t appeal to you, tee off at 8 a.m. in the July 4th Golf Tournament at City Park Nine. Teams of two will play nine holes in best-ball style.

A firetruck starts the Fourth of July Parade (Photo credit: Katie Schmidt).

At 10 a.m., the Fort Collins City parade marches down Mountain Avenue, starting at Jackson Avenue and ending at Meldrum Street. The parade celebrates the FoCo’s Parks and Recreation service to the community and the department’s 50 year anniversary.

The Avery House, located off Mountain Avenue, hosts a Victorian-era celebration kicking off at 10 a.m. and running until 2 p.m. Look for old-fashioned games and crafts, art, and historical figures in period dress. Live music, refreshments, and food trucks will be on hand.

Live music kicks off the 4th of July celebration in City Park. Two different bands will play patriotic tunes, starting at 4:15 p.m. The Fort Collins Symphony will take the stage at 8:15 p.m. and play until the start of the fireworks.

Watch the City of Fort Collins light up the night sky, with fireworks beginning at 9:35 p.m., weather permitting. There will be very limited parking around City Park, so park at the downtown transit center or the CSU Towers parking lot. Bring a blanket or chairs and catch the free shuttle to the park. Shuttles begin at 5:30 p.m. Alcohol and pets are not permitted on shuttles.

Collegian reporter Cody Moore can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @codymoorecsu.