“Sin City: A Dame to Kill For” Review

Robert Rodriguezs second translation of Frank Millers graphic novel series packs just as much of punch as the original “Sin City.”

Rodriguez makes his point very clear: “Sin City” and “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For” are not based on the comic books; they are film translations. If you read the comics as I have, you can see how they truly look like storyboards for the films. The result is a shocking and maybe uncomfortable situation for people watching the film who are not used to over-the-top comic book action.

The death count and the oh-so-fantastic blood and gore which fans of the first film appreciated are back in full force. Any lovers of “The Walking Dead” will appreciate some good old samurai sword deaths and a whole slew of poor defenseless extras being dispatched by the films major characters.

"Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" premiered Aug. 22 (Photo courtesy of "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For")
“Sin City: A Dame to Kill For” premiered Aug. 22 (Photo courtesy of “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For”)

Just as in the original “Sin City,” this film is separated into several segments, each featuring a different character, plot and narration. “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For” shows two new segments which where created specifically for the film, “A Long Bad Night,” starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and “Nancys Last Dance,” starring Jessica Alba. I found the two to be the best made sections of the film, focusing more on on character drama than action.

The acting was fantastic across the board, whether it was Josh Brolin showing us the dark side we hope to see in his portrayal of Thanos in the Marvel franchise, Alba taking a surprising and powerful lead role, Gordon-Levitt always bringing his best to the screen or Eva Green blowing her role out of the water.

Green has really come into her own as an actress lately, snagging a lead role in four films this year: “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For,” “300: Rise of an Empire,” “The Salvation,” and “White Bird in a Blizzard.” She certainly showed her true colors in this film (black and white with green eyes), playing a seductress who revels in trapping innocent men, body and soul. 

I wont lie to you, “Sin City” is weird. Its neo-noir black and white style is totally unique and completely artsy. Shot across the board on a green screen backdrop, the entire world is fantasy: a fantasy with commonplace decapitations and an army of prostitutes with machine guns.

My major problem with the movie, and something which has plagued action movies forever, is the seemingly unlimited ammo. There is a scene in the movie with a crossbow whose arrows seem to come out of nowhere. A directing flaw like this doesnt detract from the overall film too much, but for film buffs like myself it makes the blood boil.

That being said, if you love some good monologuing and narration, “Sin City” is the best in the business. If you have any appreciation for gory action and attractive women, this film is a must see. Even those who are general fans of action movies will be drawn in.

Director Robert Rodriguez and Director/Writer Frank Miller have done a fantastic job bringing this world to the silver screen. “Sin City” is probably my favorite action movie of all time because of its uniqueness, and this sequel comes very, very close.

Unfortunately, this film made a disappointing $6 million opening weekend, though I believe it deserved more. After all, If you walk down the right back alley in Sin City, you can find anything. 

Collegian A&E Writer Morgan Smith can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com and on Twitter @MDSFilms.