Aden, Chayton and Norman from the Red Cloud Indian School test out their experiment with Brian Jones at the Colorado State University Little Shop of Physics workshop Nov. 20. The project shoots water vapor out of a drum that creates colorful puffs of smoke when lit from the front. The experiments made by the students will be put into a museum on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, as the museum requested local science projects for the displays. (Collegian | Grayson Reed)
Aden, Chayton and Norman from the Red Cloud Indian School test out their experiment with Brian Jones at the Colorado State University Little Shop of Physics workshop Nov. 20. The project shoots water vapor out of a drum that creates colorful puffs of smoke when lit from the front. The experiments made by the students will be put into a museum on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, as the museum requested local science projects for the displays.

Collegian | Grayson Reed

Inspiring the future and the promotion for higher education

December 2, 2021

Red Cloud Indian School attended a weekend-long trip to Colorado State University to get a tour of the school, attend water sustainability lectures and build science experiments with the Little Shop of Physics. The experiments the students made will be presented at a museum being built in Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota to promote the students’ understanding of physics and inspire more youth to take up higher education. The Little Shop of Physics has hosted other Native American schools, including the Oglala Lakota College. The tour of the school included the Colorado State University Native American Cultural Center, where the students learned about some of the resources and people that could help them get started at CSU if they wish to pursue a college degree.
  • Ty Smith, director of the Native American Cultural Center at Colorado State University, introduces Red Cloud Indian School students to the resources and people that will help them if they wish pursue a degree at CSU after the water sustainability lecture they attended Nov. 20. “The topic today relates to water scarcity and how that is becoming greater and greater,” Smith said. “I’d like them to take away how this is applicable to their home communities.”

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Aden, Chayton and Norman from the Red Cloud Indian School test out their experiment with Brian Jones at the Colorado State University Little Shop of Physics workshop Nov. 20. The project shoots water vapor out of a drum that creates colorful puffs of smoke when lit from the front. The experiments made by the students will be put into a museum on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, as the museum requested local science projects for the displays.

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Brian Jones, the director of the Little Shop of Physics at Colorado State University, demonstrates an experiment idea for the Red Cloud Indian School students who attended his workshop Nov. 20. “It’s really been magical; they’re coming up with all kinds of amazing ideas,” Jones said.

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Various rocks glow under ultraviolet light Nov. 20. The rocks were exposed to the UV light at Colorado State University’s Little Shop of Physics.

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Rocks are illuminated under ultraviolet light at the Colorado State University Little Shop of Physics dark room Nov. 20. The LSOP workshop taught and encouraged high school students to create experiments using simple household materials that show off their understandings of physics.

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Caden from Red Cloud Indian School attends a college lecture on physics and works through a problem with the professor, Brian Jones, Nov. 20.

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Julian from Red Cloud Indian School and Brian Jones work together at the Little Shop of Physics workshop to create a water vapor tornado from fans and tubes at Colorado State University Nov. 20. The experiments made by the students will be put into a museum in Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, as the museum requested local science projects for the displays.

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • An electric current experiment in the dark room of the Little Shop of Physics at Colorado State University Nov. 20.

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Vicki Good Buffalo from Red Cloud Indian School tests out the animal ears she created using molds and modified headphones to hear distortions in sounds like animals would at the Little Shop of Physics workshop at Colorado State University Nov. 20.

Collegian | Grayson Reed
You can reach Grayson Reed at photo@collegian.com or on Twitter @graysonreed8.