A preacher sings from the Bible while surrounded by students on The Plaza Sept. 8. “They have no understanding that, ultimately, what are the two commandments we have to have? Love thy God with all thy heart and all thy soul, and love thy neighbor,” said Shawn Bowie, a bystander. (Collegian | Grayson Reed)
A preacher sings from the Bible while surrounded by students on The Plaza Sept. 8. “They have no understanding that, ultimately, what are the two commandments we have to have? Love thy God with all thy heart and all thy soul, and love thy neighbor,” said Shawn Bowie, a bystander.

Collegian | Grayson Reed

Contention captured: Preachers on The Plaza

September 13, 2021

On Sept. 8, two pastors from Whitefield Fellowship preached on campus with the goal of bringing more students to the Gospel. Due to the preachers’ controversial ideas of religious standards, students began protesting in support of the LGBTQ+ community. Students showed protest with public signs of affection and by surrounding the preachers with pride flags. After a few hours, campus police were called after a student threw a preacher’s Bible, which was then returned by another student. Following the first incident, campus police stopped a second attempt before it could happen. As the gathering slowly relaxed, the protest ended with one of the preachers singing from the Bible while simultaneously being surrounded by pride flags until both left campus willingly.

• Colorado State University students protest in The Plaza by writing their opinions in chalk on concrete Sept. 17. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University students protest in removal of hate speech from campus Sept. 17. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Ariadne Athey, Internal Affairs Committee Chair for Associated Students of Colorado State University, joins in protest Sept. 17. “CallOutCSU is fantastic for setting this up. They got a fantastic turn out and made the space very inclusive. The University has not done enough to prevent hate speech, racism antisemitism, ableism, transphobia and homophobia. All the emails they sent out in response to everything felt extremely disingenuous”. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University students protest in removal of hate speech from campus Sept. 17. The protest started in The Plaza and moved to the Administration building. (Grayson Reed | Collegian)

• Colorado State University students protest in removal of hate speech from campus Sept. 17. The protest started in The Plaza and moved to the Administration building. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Emery Jenkins, Speaker Pro Tempore of the Associated Students of Colorado State University gives a speech infront of the Administration Building Sept. 17. “Today was in response to the universities lack of response to a lot of bias motivated incidents that have permeated campus culture for the past who knows how long. Before we came to the oval, the organizers of this protest had informed us that after the pride center had thrown together a counter protest against the preachers that were on campus last week, the Collegian had responded by comparing us to plastic water bottles. I’m not entirely sure everything that went on there, but essentially The Collegian tried to take away our authority to speak on anything because they didn’t see any bias motivated incidents really happening. This protest and that speech was really all about trying to point out the fact that this stuff still happens, biased motivated incidents and even hate crimes still happen on campus, whether or not everyone is aware of it or not.” (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Colorado State University students protest in removal of hate speech on campus Sept. 17. Before the end, protesters took a collective photo.

• Fred Haberecht presents to Associated Students of Colorado State University for committees of new facilities to be accessible to all visitors and students including movable chairs for larger students, adult changing rooms for parents, and safe spaces accessible for personal and religious reasons Sept. 15. Questions were asked on safety standards, regulations and situations on current facilities by Associated Students of CSU. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Jessica Kramer and Fred Haberecht present to Associated Students of Colorado State University for committees of new facilities to be accessible to all visitors and students including movable chairs for larger students, adult changing rooms for parents, and safe spaces accessible for personal and religious reasons Sept. 15. Questions were asked on safety standards, regulations and situations on current facilities by Associated Students of CSU. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• President Christian Dykson, including all Executive Branch members of Associated Students of Colorado State University discuss topics of housing reform and voter registration goals to have 80% of students vote this year Sept. 15. Dykson also discussed sharing info for student organizations, gender inclusive restrooms, dining hall problems, and the importation of melons. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Chief Justice Erin Freeman, and Deputy chief Justice Gemma Buhaenko of Associated Students of Colorado State University, discuss financial responsibilities within organizations including the decisions of financial uses by the faculty Sept. 15. Questions were asked about specifications of funding placement and uses by board. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Kyle Hill, Speaker of the Senate for Associated Students of Colorado State University, discusses meeting with President of Colorado State University, Joyce McConnell, over defunding use of cadavers, accessibility buttons for all buildings, and having these features being added to the Ram APP for inclusiveness Sept. 15. Their meeting was cut short when the hour limit was reached. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Director of Governmental Affairs Anya Kaplan Hartnett and Jasper Sloss, prior Associated Students of Colorado State University Chief of Staff of year 2020 – 2021, Propose rank choice voting for the of Sept. 15. Questions from board includes how it will be taught to students if implemented, the technical problem solving, and how to show current updates of election as it unfolds. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Emery Jenkins, Speaker Pro Tempore of, discusses audit for inclusiveness in payments so no minority is at a disadvantage, and the ability for Transgender students to change your student email to their preferred email name Sept. 15. This will allow students who have chosen a new name or title to represent themselves. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Out on The Plaza at Colorado State University, two women kiss each other in protest of teachings from a preacher from Whitefield Fellowship Sept. 8. The women embraced each other to show pride in their beliefs. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Keith Darrell, pastor at Whitefield Fellowship, reacts to confrontation from a student on The Plaza at Colorado State University, where his Bible was taken and thrown Sept. 8. The Bible was later retrieved by another student and returned to Darrell. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Katie Hill, student at Colorado State University, breaks up a commotion between opposing parties on The Plaza Sept. 8. Hill was protesting Keith Darrell, pastor at Whitefield Fellowship, but decided to intervene in the conflict between two students on opposing sides. (Grayson Reed| The Collegian)

• Keith Darrell, pastor at Whitefield Fellowship, shakes hands with a student at Colorado State University who returns his bible after it was thrown by a protesting student on The Plaza Sept. 8. Enough conflict arose between students and Darrell that CSU campus police were called to The Plaza to maintain order. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Keith Darrell, pastor at Whitefield Fellowship, confronts students on The Plaza at Colorado State University with controversial teachings and gets no responses Sept. 8. Shawn Bowie, a bystander commented, “They could care less about God, but what we’re trying to do is make them care about Jesus Christ, make them care about their sin, and hopefully in these kinds of events, help other people realize the condition of the world, and where it is.” (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• On The Plaza at Colorado State University, campus police stops a student from taking a personal item from Keith Darrell, a pastor at Whitefield Fellowship, which was a Bible that was previously taken and thrown Sept. 8. A second attempt was stopped by CSU campus police, and the student was given a warning. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Students at Colorado State University protest controversial teachings from a preacher on The Plaza Sept. 8. “From the Gospel’s perspective, if you want to live that lifestyle, live it — we don’t care,” Shawn Bowie, a bystander at CSU explained. “We do care, though, if you say you can do that and believe the Gospel because you can’t do both. You either have to choose Christ or choose your lifestyle.” (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Keith Darrell, pastor at Whitefield Fellowship, explains his teachings to students at Colorado State University in front of the Clark Building Sept. 8. Shawn Bowie, a bystander, commented, “I don’t care who you are, how you preach, what you do; if you are preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ, you are going to offend somebody. That cannot be helped.” (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

• Students raise pride flags to surround a pastor on The Plaza of Colorado State University to join in protest of controversial teachings Sept 8. “I think a lot of people, they wouldn’t mind hearing someone preach about their religion because it’s supposed to be uplifting, but recently these people have been making fun of gay people and justifying it through religion,” Katie Hill, a student, said. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

The photo desk can be reached at photo@collegian.com