Dylan Edmiston showcases his Mark I Iron Man suit in his home workshop Sept. 19. Edmiston’s workshop is where he has either made the tools himself or modified them to the specifications needed to create the suit. The suit has taken him three years to create, with a goal of having one of his future suits break the speed of sound. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian) (Collegian | Grayson Reed)
Dylan Edmiston showcases his Mark I Iron Man suit in his home workshop Sept. 19. Edmiston’s workshop is where he has either made the tools himself or modified them to the specifications needed to create the suit. The suit has taken him three years to create, with a goal of having one of his future suits break the speed of sound. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed

From Marvel’s comics to Colorado State University

Inspired by the movie Iron Man, Dylan Edmiston has been crafting a similar suit for years.

October 3, 2021

Dylan Edmiston is the designer and manufacturer of the Mark I Iron Man suit. He crafted it himself in his home workshop located in Fort Collins, Colorado.

“My goal is to become Iron Man, as much as that is allowed by real world physics, and I want to inspire people by doing so,” Edmiston said.

The local YouTuber spent three years on the metal suit, two years designing with the third being manufacturing. Edmiston has modified his garage into a workshop, either creating the tools and parts himself or modifying tools to his requirements. The suit twists at the waist and head while bending at the knees and ankles simultaneously supporting its own weight through the frame rather than the pilot’s skeleton. The goal of future suits will be to fully protect the pilot from projectiles, have some form of weaponry — most likely a flamethrower — and ultimately be able to fly with the capacity to break the sound barrier.

“I tell people I’m building an Iron Man suit and they play it off as cosplay; nothing wrong with cosplay, but no, that’s not what I’m doing,” Edmiston said. “I’m building a legitimate Iron Man suit, and I don’t think anyone is crazy enough to do that.”

• Dylan Edmiston’s face shield for his Mark I Iron Man suit Sept. 19. “I tell people I’m building an Iron Man suit, and they play it off as cosplay; nothing wrong with cosplay, but no, that’s not what I’m doing,” Edmiston said. “I’m building a legitimate Iron Man suit, and I don’t think anyone is crazy enough to do that.” (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Dylan Edmiston showcases his Mark I Iron Man suit in his home workshop Sept. 19. Edmiston’s workshop is where he has either made the tools himself or modified them to the specifications needed to create the suit. The suit has taken him three years to create, with a goal of having one of his future suits break the speed of sound. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Dylan Edmiston’s Mark I Iron Man suit sits in his home workshop moments before he straps in to pilot the exoskeleton Sept. 19. Edmiston designed and manufactured the suit himself.

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Dylan Edmiston is designing and manufacturing a Mark I Iron Man suit by himself in his home workshop located in Fort Collins Sept. 19. Edmiston is a YouTuber who has a goal in life to break the sound barrier in one of his Iron Man suits. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Dylan Edmiston straps into his Mark I Iron Man suit he is designing and manufacturing himself with the help of his father, Robin Edmiston Sept. 19. Edmiston stated, “My goal is to become Iron Man, as much as that is allowed by real world physics, and I want to inspire people by doing so.” (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Dylan Edmiston, the designer and manufacturer of a Mark I Iron Man suit, showcases his 3D printed structural components he is crafting himself Sept. 19. These plastic pieces are made to be harder or softer for comfort and structure between the metal exoskeleton and the pilots skeleton. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Robin Edmiston carefully assembles the Mark I Iron Man suit around his son, the designer and manufacturer, Dylan Edmiston Sept. 19. The suit of metal requires a second pair of hands to build around the pilot. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Dylan Edmiston gets bolted into his Mark I Iron Man suit by his father Robin Edmiston Sept. 19. From start to finish it takes roughly 30 minutes to get into the suit of metal. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Dylan Edmiston creates one of his self-designed pieces to his Mark I Iron Man suit from his home workshop Sept. 19. “The reason I’m doing everything by myself is because I don’t have that much money, it would be a lot easier to just buy the tools. It’s a function of time versus money. If you’re doing something like this which you can’t buy you have to make it, no one sells anything like that. It’s a lot of work.” (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Dylan Edmiston in his home workshop, where he is designing and manufacturing his Mark I Iron Man suit Sept. 19. Edmiston is a YouTuber from Fort Collins who is looking for a second set of hands from Colorado State University and surrounding areas to help with the labor of manufacturing. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Dylan Edmiston, the designer and manufacturer of a Mark I Iron Man suit, showcases his complex metal components he is crafting himself Sept. 19. The components are used to give the suit structural strength and mobility, acting as the joints and bones of the exoskeleton that is the Mark I. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Dylan Edmiston demonstrates the mobility of his Mark I Iron Man suit through a flexibility demonstration Sept. 19. The suit twists at the waist and head while bending at the knees and ankles simultaneously supporting its own weight through the frame rather than the pilot’s skeleton. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Dylan Edmiston, creator of the Mark I Iron Man suit from Fort Collins, tests gunfire against his suit’s metal skeleton Sept. 19. The current Mark I suit has gaps between the malleable metal, making the pilot prone to damage, but future suits will be fully protected against projectiles. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Dylan Edmiston, designer and manufacturer of the Mark I Iron Man suit, in his home workshop in Fort Collins, working on the next part of the suit, jet propulsion flight, Sept. 19. Edmiston’s current suit is a walking exoskeleton, but future suits will include flamethrower attachments and a system of flight that would allow the pilot to fly horizontally. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Robin Edmiston carefully assembles the Mark I Iron Man suit around his son, the creator, Dylan Edmiston, Sept. 19. This father-son duo can assemble the suit in under 40 minutes. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Dylan Edmiston, the creator of the Mark I Iron Man suit, poses for a picture Sept. 19. Edmiston is a YouTuber from Fort Collins. “My goal is to be Iron Man; my mission in life is to break the speed of sound,” Edmiston said. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Dylan Edmiston, creator of the Mark I Iron Man suit, showcases his inspiration from Marvel Studio’s “Iron Man” Sept. 19. Edmiston’s suit is modeled after the first Iron Man suit made in the movie by Tony Stark. (Grayson Reed | The Collegian)

Collegian | Grayson Reed

Collegian | Grayson Reed

Grayson Reed can be reached at photo@collegian.com or on Twitter @graysonreed8.