NFL fantasy football – waiver wire recommendations week 13

(Graphic Illustration by Nick Perl | The Collegian)

Brendon Fairbairn, Sports Reporter

Keeping a solid running back throughout fantasy is really hard. There have been so many injuries this year to key halfbacks such as Derrick Henry, Christian McCaffrey, Chris Carson, Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook and many more. With only two weeks until playoffs, finding a running back on waivers isn’t easy, but there is one player who can give you one last push to make the postseason.

I am talking about Minnesota Vikings running back Alexander Mattison, who is taking lead back duties after Dalvin Cook tore his labrum against the San Francisco 49ers last week. I would pick him up as soon as possible since he is only owned in 33.8% of leagues, but that number will skyrocket since the McCaffrey and Cook injuries.

If your team is already a lock for the playoffs and you have extra space on your bench for a wide receiver, Green Bay Packers wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling is a perfect addition to your team.”

In the past, we have seen Mattison step up to the role as an efficient starter when Cook has been injured. His next matchup is very favorable against the winless Detroit Lions. The dismal Lions have allowed the third-most fantasy points and second-most touchdowns to running backs. He is due for a big game this week, and picking him up on waivers automatically puts him at RB2 status. 

If your team is already a lock for the playoffs and you have extra space on your bench for a wide receiver, Green Bay Packers wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling is a perfect addition to your team. He has moved up the depth chart with Randall Cobb injured and Robert Tonyan out for the season

Valdes-Scantling does have a bye in week 13 but has value for the rest of the season. He has seen 19 targets over the last two weeks with eight catches. In those few weeks, he has 173 yards receiving with one touchdown. In his next matchup against the Chicago Bears, he should have a solid outing since the Bears allow a solid chunk of fantasy points to wideouts. He is only owned in 12.2% of leagues, and I think you can get good value for him now since he is on a bye. 

My last waiver wire addition is Indianapolis Colts tight end Jack Doyle. This one is a little risky since he is more of a boom-or-bust player, but I think he is due for a big game next week against the Houston Texans. Last week, against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he caught six of seven targets for 81 yards and a touchdown, which totaled for 20.1 fantasy points

He has seen at least five targets per game in the last three weeks, which is a good volume for a tight end. The Texans have been sneaking well against tight ends in all categories, but they still allow a lot of receiving touchdowns as they are the 12th-worst in the league when it comes to receiving touchdowns.

Any of these three players will help you move forward in the playoffs if you need the depth. If you are fighting for a playoff spot and you need a flex, Mattison is your guy. Good luck in your final two weeks, and I hope you and your squad make the playoffs.

Reach Brendon Fairbairn at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @Fairbairn_7.