NFL fantasy football — waiver wire week 3 recommendations

(Graphic Illustration by Nick Peril | The Collegian)

Week three of NFL action was an exciting one. Only seven out of 32 teams remain undefeated, but we also saw a lot of key injuries happen. Tua Tagovailoa, Darrell Henderson, Andy Dalton, Elijah Mitchell, Carson Wentz, Tyrod Taylor, Baker Mayfield and many more key players went down this weekend. 

You can throw them in your injured reserve spot if your leagues allow it, but you still need some more depth for your roster. That is where the waiver wire comes in. I have three players that are barely owned in a lot of leagues and can instantly make an impact for your team. 

If you’re in search of a quarterback, look no further than Las Vegas Raiders signal-caller Derek Carr. The Raiders currently have the top total offense in the NFL, putting up 458 yards per game while averaging 29.5 points over their first two matchups. Carr has completed 62 of 93 passes for 817 yards and four touchdowns with only one interception. He’s also scored 24 fantasy points in both contests. 

Antonio Gibson fantasy owners are not going to want to read this, but I truly think Joshua Dobbie ‘J.D.’ McKissic has more fantasy value than him as of now.”

He did this all against the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers, both having playoff defenses. He has arguably the best tight end in the league as well, Darren Waller. Henry Ruggs III is a legitimate deep threat, while Hunter Renfrow and Bryan Edwards have shown they are reliable security blankets as well. Carr won’t be on waivers for long, so I would pick him up as soon as possible for some depth and insurance. He can also be your QB1 if need be. 

You usually don’t see rookie wide receivers on many fantasy teams, but Rondale Moore is the exception. The second-round pick from Purdue University is already making an impact on the Arizona Cardinals. I know their receiving room already has DeAndre Hopkins, Adriel Jeremiah “A.J.” Green and Christian Kirk, but last week against the Minnesota Vikings, Moore led the team in targets and yards while only playing 46% of their offensive snaps. 

In week one, he had 11 fantasy points and in week two, he had 24. I truly believe Moore can be a solid flex option in all leagues since his quarterback, Kyler Murray, is playing phenomenal football. 

Antonio Gibson fantasy owners are not going to want to read this, but I truly think Joshua Dobbie “J.D.” McKissic has more fantasy value than him as of now. McKissic, the Washington Football Team number two running back, is the clear pass-catching back with six targets and 83 yards receiving against the New York Giants. McKissic doesn’t get many touches but was still able to get a rushing touchdown and about 20 fantasy points last week. 

Gibson will continue to get the majority of carries going forward, but McKissic isn’t going away and he’s likely going to continue to see far more targets in the passing game than Gibson. Last year, McKissic had almost triple the number of targets in the passing game compared to Gibson.

Fantasy owners in need of running backs or flex help in deep leagues should make a claim for McKissic off the waiver wire this week. He has a tough matchup against the Buffalo Bills in week three, but he plays one of the worst defenses in the league against the Atlanta Falcons in week four.

As the weeks go on and more injuries happen, there will be more players due for big roles and performances. I will be here weekly to keep you updated on those players to help your team win the championship in January.

Brendon Fairbairn can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @Fairbairn_7.