Abundance of records for the Rams in last regular season meet

man jumps over hurdle
Germain Barnes jumps over a hurdle during the 400 meter hurdles race at the Jack Christiansen Track meet at Colorado State on April 27, 2019. (Matt Begeman | The Collegian)

The Colorado State track & field team certainly made the most of their last regular-season competition. Hosted by the United States Air Force Academy, the three-day championships at the Peak indoor meet saw a lot of success and quite a few new records set by athletes donning the green and gold. The women finished second overall in the meet behind Wichita State University and the men finished sixth with the Falcons ultimately winning the men’s division. 

Gale now owns the three best women’s indoor 400-meter times in school history after setting the record at last year’s Mountain West Conference Indoor Championships, beating it at the Iowa State Classic two weeks ago and now improving her mark again by .07 seconds.”

Day one

The first day of the competition saw a smaller group of athletes as the multi events took the spotlight. Two of the most grueling events — the pentathlon and the heptathlon — require athletes to compete in multiple events for a combined total score.

Women’s pentathlete Jordan Lanning tied the tenth-best high jump result in CSU’s pentathlon history at 5’8.75″. Lanning’s result in the high jump beat the next closest finishers by one inch. The other events in the pentathlon include the 60-meter hurdles, high jump, shot put, long jump and the 800-meter run. Scoring 3,614 total points, the sophomore would finish sixth overall in the pentathlon. 

The first four events of the men’s heptathlon also kickstarted the Rams’ appearance at the meet. Senior Eric Lundgren annihilated the competition in the shot put and hung tight through the 60 meters, long jump and high jump.

“The Cheyenne, Wyoming, native logged a PR in the 60m at 7.18 but was able to get majority of his points from dominating in the shot put,” a recap of day one of the meet on the CSU Athletics’ website stated. “Lundgren tossed it at least 5 feet farther than the next competitors to land at 50 feet flat.” Unfortunately, Lundgren was not able to complete the next day’s events in the heptathlon due to a lingering Achilles injury.

Day two

Pole vaulter Celyn Stermer catapulted herself to the second-best mark in school history at 13’1.5″ and took fifth overall. Senior Ashton Hallsted improved on her PR by 1.75″ in the women’s weight throw with a toss of 69’1.25″, putting her second place in the event and fourth overall in the CSU record books. The Rams had three of the top five finishers in the women’s weight throw. 

The preliminary round of the men’s 60-meter hurdles saw four Rams finish in the top ten with three qualifying for the finals the next day. Germain Barnes (8.00 seconds) and Liam Mather (8.01 seconds), the fifth- and sixth-place finishers in the prelims, both set PRs and now hold the eighth- and tenth-place all-time records for CSU in the event. 

Day three

The finals in the men’s 60-meter hurdles saw Mather improve upon his time and take fifth overall in the event. Mather’s final time of 7.92 seconds was another PR and puts him at fourth all-time for CSU

One of the most impressive feats of the day was sophomore Allam Bushara’s record outing in the men’s triple jump. Winning the event and recording a distance of 52’1.25″, Bushara now holds the CSU record and put himself in contention for an invite to the NCAA championships should his result hold at 16th best in the NCAA. 

Kelley Stephens and DeVon Washington also sprinted up the CSU record books in their events. Stephens took second in the 200-meter with a final time of 21.64 seconds and now finds himself with the ninth-best time in CSU history. Washington improved his PR by .69 seconds and would finish third in the event with a final time of 47.79 seconds. According to a recap of the final day of the event posted on the CSU Athletics website, “Washington jumped up nine positions to land sixth all-time for the 400.”

The CSU women put on a show behind some outstanding performances from sprinters Lauren Gale and Janyah Jasper. To say Gale’s final race came down to the wire would not be doing it justice. Gale finished with a final time of 52.76 seconds, just .01 seconds behind first place.

However, she did finish ahead of one key person — herself. Gale now owns the best three women’s indoor 400-meter times in school history. Gale initially set the record at last year’s Mountain West Conference Indoor Championships, proceeded to beat it at the Iowa State Classic two weeks ago and now improved her mark again by .07 seconds over the weekend. 

Jasper, a freshman, finished second in the women’s 200 meters with a final time of 24.38 seconds. While Jasper will definitely be looking to make up that .82-second difference between her and the first-place finisher, she will certainly be happy as the new holder of the seventh-best time in the event in CSU history

Scott Nies can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @scott_nies98.