CSU women’s tennis to battle the Buffaloes in Boulder

The Colorado State women’s tennis team will travel to Boulder this Friday to face off against the University of Colorado Boulder at 2 p.m. This will mark the second match of their spring campaign.

Previously, CSU lost its opening duel to the University of Gonzaga 4-3. Coach Jarod Camerota had some solid advice and reflection for the team.

“We need to continue to play good doubles and continue to compete hard,” Camerota said. “We also need to continue to believe. Each player can really see what their patterns are that work for them, and they can keep doing them over and over and feel comfortable doing them under pressure in a match situation.”

CSU’s impressive pairings in Stella Cliffe/Emily Luetschwager and Priscilla Palermo/Alyssa Grijalva were very successful against Gonzaga. Luetschwager won out the No. 2 singles against Haruna Tsuruta 6-3 and 7-5 (her 10th of the year). Palermo picked up victories at No. 3 6-3 and 6-3 against Kate Ketels (her ninth this year).

While only being a junior, Luetschwager is five singles wins away from breaking the top 10 in all-time wins in program history (she has 50 victories). 

Sophomore Emily Luetschwager attempts to hit the ball during a singles match versus CU Boulder on March 16, 2019. The Rams fell to the Buffaloes 4-1. (Matt Begeman | The Collegian)

The Buffaloes are heading into the contest after back-to-back victories against Southern Utah (7-0) and Fresno State (4-2). CU is leaning on hot starts from freshmen Antonia Balzert and Sophia Derivan. Balzert went 4-0 in the matchups against Southern Utah and Fresno State, and Derivan had a 6-0 performance against Southern Utah and won both her singles matches.

After heading to Boulder, the Rams will play seven more matchups on the road, starting with Southern Methodist University in Dallas. Then the Rams will head to Arlington, Texas, to face off against UT Arlington. CSU will round out their road trip with visits to Phoenix, Arizona; Lincoln, Nebraska; Riverside, California; and Claremont, California.

The Rams finally head back to Fort Collins on March 14 to face off against Northern Colorado.

Tyler Meguire can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TMeguire