Colorado State baseball stays hot, sends UNC Bears back into hibernation

The Colorado State Rams baseball team dominated against the University of Northern Colorado Bears on Sunday, winning both games of the doubleheader.

CSU was scheduled to play two away double-headers against UNC on Saturday and Sunday. Due to the weather, the games on Saturday had to be cancelled. The games on Sunday were pushed back to 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. and had to be moved to City Park Field in Fort Collins.

The first game of the doubleheader started off slow for the Rams. However CSU came alive in the fourth inning, scoring four runs including back to back home runs from Mack Morford and Griffin Hamel. The Rams won the game with a final score of 9-4 in seven innings.

“It felt great,” Morford said. “(I was) finally able to see the ball right, see it down and put a nice swing on it.”

Hamel was a key contributor in the game. He went 2-3 with a double, home run and a base on balls.

“I felt very confident,” Hamel said. “Coming back from Arizona, I did really good there and just stayed with my approach.”

Morford’s home run in the first at-bat of the fourth inning sparked the Rams offense to pull away in the game.

“(It was) definitely a momentum starter,” Morford said. “Coming from a senior… I think it’s our job to get it started and I think it is one of the roles I need to cover.”

Hamel was not planning on hitting a home run after Morford.

“Honestly I was just trying to hit the ball hard,” Hamel said. “It’s really hard to go back to back because you’re trying to swing too hard and over swing the ball. I got lucky, ran into one, and got one out.”

The Rams started the second game feeding off the first game’s offensive slaughter. CSU put up 11 runs in just the first inning. The rest of the game wasn’t even close. Finishing with a final score of 17-2 after five innings, run rule came into play. Ryker McDaniel joined the hitting parade with a home run in the second game.

The Rams stacked up a combined total of 24 hits and three home runs in the doubleheader.

The Rams have now won four straight and put up double-digit wins in two out of the four.

“I feel like we’re just playing well,” Head Coach Troy Tolar said. “We’re playing with a lot of confidence and everybody is really just doing their job.”

Even with the team’s success, they are still not satisfied. Tolar thinks CSU can take another step to really dominate as a team.

“I think the next (step) is cutting down on mistakes,” Tolar said. “Walks, passed-balls, errors things like that. I think cutting down on those and eliminating little mistakes will help a lot.’”

CSU will play Colorado School of Mines on Tuesday at 6 p.m., a make-up game from the last round of games cancelled due to weather. CSU will then head to Grand Junction to face off against Colorado Mesa University for a nine-inning game on April 6. On April 7 CSU will play a seven-inning doubleheader starting at 11 a.m.

Tyler Meguire can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TMeguire.