Letters: ASCSU president addresses the Undie Run

Editor’s Note: All opinion section content reflects the views of the individual author only and does not represent a stance taken by The Collegian or its editorial board. Letters to the Editor reflect the view of a member of the campus community and are submitted to the publication for approval.

Rams,

I will be direct about the Undie Run. When I walked into office I couldn’t care less if anyone ran around
in their underwear. I did not understand it entirely, but it did not phase me either.

The reality of the situation has changed, the University has taken a crystal-clear stance on this run— they want it to stop. From the emails I have read and the meetings I have attended, it appears they are hell-bent on achieving that goal. So, with that, the question comes— is it worth attending?

I can understand the desire to go because they are telling you not to. To have your freedom challenged, and then to prove the authority is wrong, can be a liberating feeling. In my opinion, this is not the hill to
run on.

If the University follows through on their statements (and it looks like they will), students who have open containers will receive tickets. Students who appear intoxicated— tickets. Underage drinking— tickets. To make matters worse, if an officer asks for identification— you must comply. Being nearly naked, you may not have this I.D, which can lead to further escalation of an already awkward confrontation.

If the University sends students to Conduct for “unauthorized gatherings,” that will appear on your student record. Graduate School, Medical School, Law School, they all will ask about this. Is it explainable? Yes. Do you want to explain it? No.

Between the possible ticket (which includes costs, court and wasted time) and the possible conduct charge— I think this is a run worth skipping. The Denver Post also did an article about Boulder’s run, which is organized by their alumni center. Perhaps there is a way to figure out a safe event for students in the future years, but this year— weigh your risks and returns. Think ahead 3 years, if you do all this, I think you will come to the same decision I did.

Finally, on a personal note. The City Council is brand new, and I feel many of them will vote for reforming U+2 in the fall. I think the run this year, with this revision so close, is probably not the image students should show the community when we are close to achieving change.

Student Body President,
Tristan Syron

The Collegian’s opinion desk can be reached at letters@collegian.com. To submit a letter to the editor, please follow the guidelines found at collegian.com.