Wyatt: Ticket Scalping Needs To Stop

Editor’s Note: All opinion section content reflects the views of the individual author only and does not represent a stance taken by The Collegian or its editorial board.

You finally have enough money to go to that concert coming up, the one you’ve been looking forward to for months. Like most people, you go online to buy tickets and surprise; the concert is either sold out or tickets online are getting scalped for way more than you should spend.

Most people who attend concerts and shows regularly are familiar with the frustration of not being able to get a ticket at market value or getting stuck in long online waiting rooms only to lose out to scalpers.

Stop buying concert tickets you know you will not attend. Concert tickets are extremely expensive, and the main reason has to do with scalpers selling multiple tickets for an arm and a leg online. 

I was trying to see one of my favorite groups in Denver at the beginning of November called Rufus Du Sol. Both nights of their show at the Filmore were completely sold out and tickets are now running for about $80. The original face value price was closer to $42. I came across tons of people online selling multiple tickets for almost double the face value.

According to an AARP report,the market for reselling tickets has become a huge market, with sales close to $8 billion. 

According to an AARP report,the market for reselling tickets has become a huge market, with sales close to $8 billion. In retrospect, this can be a profitable business for some people because of the financial appeal. On the other hand, it is becoming increasingly hard for college students to go to concerts because of the ridiculous prices that continue to rise.

In order to avoid the rising prices of ticket resales, plan out concerts accordingly. Many artists and ticket companies offer presale through fan clubs and passwords. That is a quick and surefire way to get the tickets before the price skyrockets. If you don’t get online right when they go on sale, chances are you will miss your opportunity to snag some decently priced tickets. What’s even more infuriating is when the scalpers buy multiple tickets. 

Reselling tickets has become a huge market, with sales close to $8 billion. It is becoming increasingly hard for college students to go to concerts because of the ridiculous prices that continue to rise.

Another option is to enter ticket contests. I personally have won a handful of tickets to various shows over the years. You won’t win every time, but with a repost and a like, you just might get picked every now and then. 

Scalpers are getting online and buying up to 12 tickets at a time, sometimes just to turn around and sell for massive profit. It would be different if they sold 1-2 tickets because they clearly couldn’t attend the show, but some of these scalpers buy tickets to shows they know they won’t attend in the first place. 

This can be seen happening to almost every show here in Colorado now.  

Next time there is a concert you really want to attend, be proactive and jump online before the scalpers do. This is your best chance to snag the tickets of a life time. You can thank yourself later.

If you can’t attend, let somebody enjoy the show for the same price you would’ve. It can be a hard situation to avoid but with the precautions taken above, you can improve your chance of seeing that show you really wanted to go to.  

Reporter Wyatt Hansen can be reached letters@collegian and online at @Hansolo1610