LTTE: International conservatives unfairly targeted

Editor’s Note: All opinion section content reflects the views of the individual author only and does not represent a stance taken by the Collegian or its editorial board. Letters to the Editor reflect the view of a member of the campus community and are submitted to the publication for approval. Marcos Rosell Perez is the president of the International Conservative Coalition at CSU.

Dear editor,

This letter is in response to the article “Thousands take to CSU campus in demonstration against hate, ‘bias-motivated incidents'”

The International Conservative Coalition at CSU is appalled at the blatant disrespect towards members of our community. This unfair and abusive targeting of conservative individuals is especially unfair to the hundreds of students from around the world who have fled communist Cuba, socialist Venezuela, communist narco-terror groups in Colombia (FARC), and countless totalitarian dictatorships around the world.

The ICC is a newly formed coalition in response to both the repeated attacks on conservatism, and our desire to provide further opportunities for our international students with conservative values. Our goals are to advocate, educate and facilitate.

We will advocate for any international student that may feel pressured to suppress their political values by the education system. We will provide opportunities for education that our current system does not. Lastly, we will facilitate.

Conservatism doesn’t fall under just one bubble. We are not an official student organization, but we would be honored to act as a thoroughfare to find a group or organization that suits the skills and passions of each individual student, whether that be with Turning Point, Young Americans for Liberty, Conservative Interest Group, College Republicans, NRAU and others. We stand with all of these organizations as allies and friends.

“Students Against White Supremacy” should be ashamed and should immediately apologize to the thousands of conservative students at Colorado State, and should specifically apologize to the minority students within our movement. The careless and baseless accusations of white supremacy have put members of our “tolerant” campus in honest fear of hostile action from SAWS and other extremists. No one deserves the label of white supremacy for simply wanting a limited and accountable government, controlled spending, and freedom.

Our members and their families have fled the horrors of totalitarianism, communism, and perpetual dictatorships in search of the American dream. We have placed our trust in the administration of Colorado State University to keep us safe while we learn, contribute and grow.

SAWS speaks of white privilege, but from the perspective of our immigrant members, the Students Against White Supremacy have the “privilege” to slander and defame without any repercussions from the administration. Rumors and hearsay have become the standards for the burden of proof. It’s disrespectful, dangerous and illegal.

The dangers of inaction by the administration are catastrophic. By allowing this type of defamation and persecution, the university is condoning witch-hunts, and allowing the irreparable division of its prized student body.

We stand with the Conservative Interest Group at CSU and demand an apology from both the administration and SAWS.

With this in mind, we want to hear from you. The International Conservative Coalition will be joining the Conservative Interest Group on the Plaza, Wednesday the 4th at 10 am, to meet with members of our community.

Thank you to our supporters, our members and our allies,

In Liberty,

Marcos Rosell Perez – President, International Conservative Coalition, CSU. 

Letters may be sent to letters@collegian.com. When submitting letters, please abide by the guidelines listed at collegian.com.