Body found near Horsetooth Reservoir identified as Colorado Eagles team doctor

The body of a man found dead near Horsetooth Reservoir Thursday morning was identified as Dr. Daniel Jinich, a 65-year-old family physician from Fort Collins.

Jinich was found at the base of a cliff near his residence on Centennial Drive shortly after 10 a.m.  Thursday. Jinich reportedly died from blunt force head injuries. His death was reported as an accident.

Jinich graduated from Baylor College of Medicine in 1979 and completed his residency at San Pedro Peninsula Hospital in California. Aside from his Fort Collins patients, he provided care to the Colorado Eagles’ minor league hockey team and their families for 16 years.

Authorities discovered Jinich’s body when they received a call around 8:30 a.m. Thursday requesting a welfare check on the doctor. When they discovered him on the ground about 75 feet below his home, officials worked hard to gain access to the body, according to Jered Kramer, the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office public information officer.

Dr. Jinich’s life will be honored in a moment of silence before the Colorado Eagles’ next home game  April 12.

Delaney Allen can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @DelaneyAllen0.