Board of Governors forms committee to lead search for next CSU president

The search for the next Colorado State University president has taken its first steps. 

The CSU Board of Governors announced the official formation of a Presidential Search Advisory Committee in an email to the campus community Oct. 15. Plans to establish this committee came from the Board of Governors meeting Oct. 5.

This follows President Tony Frank’s recent announcement that he will be stepping down from the role, and stepping into the chancellor position full-time in July 2019. Currently, Frank serves dual roles as University president and chancellor.

The 16-member search committee will be led by Board of Governors Vice Chair Nancy Tuor. According to the email, the committee is comprised of both Board of Governors and CSU Representatives elected to the Board, featuring members ranging from professors to deans and prominent community members. This includes such members as Vice President for Student Affairs Blanche Hughes, Associated Students of CSU President Tristan Syron and Fort Collins Mayor Wade Troxell. 

The Parker Executive Search firm, a recruitment services organization that works with universities to hire executives, was chosen to assist in the selection.

I’m excited to be part of the committee. Dr. Frank truly was an advocate of the student voice, now I want to ensure that we get that same standard or better.” Tristan Syron, ASCSU President.

Syron wrote in a statement to The Collegian that his goal is to best represent the needs of students on the committee. 

“I’m excited to be part of the committee. Dr. Frank truly was an advocate of the student voice, now I want to ensure that we get that same standard or better,” Syron wrote.

After identifying and interviewing applicants, the committee will recommend candidates for consideration by the Board, which is the final hiring authority, according to the email. 

“It’s an exciting time for a new leader to step in and build on the significant momentum that CSU has experienced over the past decade,” wrote Rico Munn, chair of the Board of Governors, in the email to campus.

CSU plans to conduct listening sessions with students, faculty, staff, alumni and community members about what they hope to see in the next president, according to the email. More options to give feedback and information about the sessions will be released by early November.

In his announcement, Frank wrote that the Board of Governors requested he remains the full-time chancellor of the CSU system, a position he has held since 2015.

Timeline of the search committee:

On Sept. 30, Tony Frank emailed the CSU campus announcing he will step down.

The Board of Governors confirmed plans to establishment a Presidential Search Advisory Committee to find a replacement for current president Tony Frank on Oct. 5.

The Board announced the official search committee, including members such as Associated Students of CSU President Tristan Syron, on Oct. 15.

In his email, Frank reflected on his 10-year presidency, including the growth of the University and increased diversity of the student population, and offered support for the search for his successor. 

“I’ll be around for the rest of this year, and then I’m just moving down the road,” Frank wrote. “And I have enormous confidence that the Board will be able to attract an outstanding leader who will lead what shapes up to be an extraordinarily promising decade ahead. I can’t wait to see what that decade brings for CSU.”

Emma Iannacone can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @EmmaIannacone