Money Smart Week at CSU began Monday

According to researchers from Wartburg College, finances are the number one reason students withdraw from college and what gives them the most stress. Colorado State University is working to change that. 

April 2 began CSU’s Money Smart Week. The week consists of different presentations at the Morgan Library Event Hall throughout the week until this Thursday. All presentations are free and open to students as well as the public, and each last about an hour.

The week covers almost every topic concerning money ranging from financial aid to budgeting to preparing for retirement. They aim to explain and share how money is used in everyday lives and how important it is to know how to use it wisely.

Money Smart Week is a national organization. According to their website, they aim to help people manage their personal finances better.

The presenters of each presentation vary. Some are CSU Faculty, while others are from well-known finance companies such as Public Service Credit Union or Charles Schwab.

“Students who have good finances are going to be able to chase their dreams a little better,” program coordinator Naomi Lederer said.

Money Smart Week has taken place in the Morgan Library since 2014, with the goal of helping students be smarter with their money.

“Money Smart Week gives them a practical skill set, so that they can have better money skills,” Lederer said.

The skills learned in the presentations are for the purpose of using them in real life situations. 

“I believe that if people were better with their money the world would be better off,” Lederer said.

There are also other money learning opportunities. Starting April 4 until June 20, a personal finance series, Money Matters, will be ongoing throughout Northern Colorado. The classes are free and are powered by several different organizations like Northern Colorado Credit Union, Poudre River Public Library and Ent Credit Union, to name a few.

Collegian reporter Daniela Navarro can be reached at news@collegian.com or Twitter @thedanielazahra