Female Leadership in the Media

There’s a revolution happening. It’s changing the world and how we see female leaders. Women like Sheryl Sandberg, Hillary Clinton, and so many others are challenging how society views women as leaders.

Instead of being seen as bossy, nagging, or bitchy, women who are in positions of power should be seen as strong, smart, and capable. However, it’s not often that women in powerful positions are depicted in this manner.

Anyone who has seen The Devil Wears Prada or The Proposal knows all too well that female bosses, when shown at all, aren’t shown in a flattering light. They’re bitter, they’re cold, and they’re hated by anyone who’s unlucky enough to cross their path.

The Devil Wears Prada (film)
The Devil Wears Prada (film) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The danger in these movies is that it can easily lead people to believe that all female bosses are bad news, which is something we can’t afford. Women are just as capable of making a company successful as men, so why are we hindering their abilities? If we are showing little girls that the only thing they should aspire to be is beautiful, then we are doing not only them, but also ourselves a great disservice. By showing girls that female leaders are bossy and antagonistic, we are losing out on all that they have to offer now and in the future.

One documentary is a light in the dark and hopes to change this perspective we have on women. Dream, Girl is a documentary centered on telling the stories of female CEOs, bosses, and entrepreneurs. Based in New York and completely funded by a Kickstarter campaign, Dream, Girl features interviews and footage of these impressive females and hopes to show how these strong women have achieved so much in their lifetime despite the ups and downs of the business world.

Real women such as Crista Freeman and Jess Eddy of Phin & Phebes, Christen Brandt of She’s the First, and Mariama Mounir Camara-Petrolawicz of Mariama Fashion Production are some of the main women featured in the trailer for this film, showing that not all female leaders fit the Miranda Priestly mold. And if you haven’t heard of some of these women yet, now is your chance because, as the trailer states, “we already know the names of Bill GatesMark Zuckerberg, and Steve Jobs. But what about the female entrepreneurs? What’s their story?”

Along with an amazing cast of female leaders, the film is being produced by a group of extremely talented women, including Erin Bagwell, founder of Feminist Wednesday, director of the film, and owner of the Kickstarter campaign. As of August 31st, the Kickstarter fund for Dream, Girl has over $70,000 and 1,501 backers supporting it, still with four days to go.  The film doesn’t yet have a release date, but until then, you can get all the news and updates on the “Dream, Girl” website. Dream, Girl aims to change the way that women in the world are seen as leaders, bosses, and entrepreneurs.

Women are an ever-growing part of society and they deserve to be seen as more than media stereotypes. Instead of teaching women (and the rest of society, for that matter) to associate female leaders with such negative stereotypes, we should be empowering little girls and even grown girls to be adventurous, entrepreneurial, and confident in their abilities. They can be powerful, they can be strong, they can be leaders. All we have to do is show them it’s possible.