Food trucks bring new lunch options to CSU

Students order food from Ba-nom-a-nom, a food truck. As part of the LSC Renovation, Food trucks are now present along Pitkin street for student convenience. Photo by Kelsey Contouris

Sometimes change can be hard – especially when it involves the disappearance of the entire Lory Student Center food court. But, when change brings food trucks to campus, students can welcome the change with open arms (and stomachs!).

“It’s a dream come true; there’s food trucks on campus,” said Andrea Bell, a senior nutrition major. Bell has considered starting her own food truck after graduating because she thought campus needed one. That need has been satisfied.

Bell was among the many students who went to the trucks’ Pitkin Street location for lunch on the first day of classes.

“I think it’s awesome,” she said. “I hope they stay.”

The food trucks offer a variety of lunch options that cannot be found elsewhere on campus. Sarah Ladley, owner of Ba-Nom-a-Nom, explained her truck’s product: soft-serve frozen fruit.

“It’s 100 percent fruit, but it’s the same texture as ice cream or frozen yogurt,” Ladley said. “I’d say one of my most unique products is the root beer float. That one’s really popular, especially with the vegan crowd.” The float consists of root beer and soft-serve banana.

The food truck lineup also includes La Piadina, which serves Italian flatbread sandwiches; Common Link, which features various kinds of sausages; and Umami, which offers Asian cuisine (good news for those upset about the loss of Panda Express!).

The four trucks will be parked on Pitkin Street just north of the Chemistry Building from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. every weekday. Meal prices range from $3 to $7, and they accept cash and credit cards.

“Come stop by,” Ladley said. “We always give out free samples… to get everyone eating some healthy brain food.”

Want to learn more about the food trucks? Visit their Facebook pages!