In light of the new iPhone 5s, and iPhone 5c I thought I would take today to share five free, and handy travel apps.
1. Flight Aware- Simply enter the flight number or route of your trip and you can find if your flight is on time. You can also receive push notifications if your flight departure or arrival has changed, been canceled or if you have a gate change.
2. Viber- Unless you have an international plan, your cell phone company is going to charge an arm and a leg if you text or make a call internationally. This app was the only way I could contact my friends and family while I was in Europe. The call quality was surprisingly good, especially with other iPhones. All you need to do is download this app and you can contact anyone else who has it.
3. Smart Traveler- This app was suggested to me while I was backpack shopping at R.E.I, and now I’m recommending it to you! Why? Because it allows you to easily access official country information, travel alerts, travel warnings, maps, U.S. embassy locations and a whole lot more. You can even create your own itinerary and the app will alert you of any potential travel concerns.
4. Google Translate- Despite American belief, not everyone speaks English! Google Translate directly translates speech and handwriting with more than 70 languages. You can even star your favorite translations and access them later when you are not connected to WiFi. Having a translator will be useful!
5. Converter- 3.71 euro, 3.71 euro 30.48 centimeter long! No actually that is not a catchy European jingle for Subway, fortunately it’s not a song at all. However, I was able to convert feet into centimeters, and dollars into euros with my ‘Converter’ app. This app is beneficial when looking to convert currency, energy, length, power speed, temperature and weight.