Fort Collins burglary suspect apprehended by SWAT, K9 unit

A Wellington man was arrested by the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office Saturday after allegedly punching vehicles and breaking into a south Fort Collins home.

The suspect was identified as Brandon Oeller, according to a county press release.

booking photo of Brandon Oeller
Brandon Oeller was arrested for allegedly punching cars and breaking into a Fort Collins residence Saturday evening. (Photo courtesy of Larimer County Sheriff’s Office)

The LCSO received several reports of an adult male punching vehicles and then breaking a window to enter a residence in the 2300 block of County Road 38E on Sept. 14 at approximately 6:17 p.m. 

Those who called police said they did not believe the male was associated with the residence, according to the release. Authorities contacted the resident of the home who said nobody should’ve been in the residence.

Deputies and the Larimer County Regional SWAT team established a perimeter around the house, and several surrounding homes were evacuated as a precaution.

Oeller would not respond to attempts from authorities to communicate with him from outside, according to the LCSO.

At approximately 8:32 p.m., SWAT and K9 units entered the home. When Oeller did not comply with commands, a law enforcement dog physically apprehended him, according to the LCSO.  

The suspect was then apprehended and taken to a local hospital for treatment of his injuries from breaking into the house and the K9 bite. He has since been booked at the Larimer County Jail.

Oeller has been charged with the following:

• First degree burglary (Class 3 felony)
  • Criminal mischief (Class 1 misdemeanor)
  • Failure to leave premise upon demand (Class 3 misdemeanor)
  • Resisting arrest (Class 2 misdemeanor)

Samantha Ye can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @samxye4.