5 ways to support Fort Collins this spooky season

Halloween candy and decorations
Halloween candy and decorations Oct. 23. (Photo illustration by Michael Marquardt | The Collegian)

When fall hits, just about all you want to do is cozy up with some goodies under a fuzzy blanket and watch scary movies until you’re given the magical gift of Thanksgiving break. Even if scary movies aren’t your aesthetic, there’s the warmth of pumpkin-flavored goodies and community-based activities to look forward to once the leaves start to fall. 

With the brisk breeze and cold weather comes harvests and a million activities to accompany the cozy vibes. Here are five ways you can enjoy the fall while supporting your beloved Fort Collins community.

1. Treat yourself 

What are the tricks without the treats? No fun, really, and at FoCo Cafe, you can buy treats, and the only trick is helping out those in need. You can preorder Halloween cookies, truffles and more until Oct. 27, and for every package you buy, a separate package goes to “community members in need” — who hasn’t earned a delicious pack of cookies this year? 

2. Show the community a little love

Go see a show at The Lyric. Located at 1209 N. College Ave., The Lyric is hosting several spooky events from Oct. 27-31. It is the perfect place to bring your friends for one spectacularly spooky night out and do anything from watching The Rocky Horror Picture Show to attending the Spooky Cool Kids Club. (Yes, that second one is meant for little kids, but who doesn’t embrace their inner child on Halloween?)

3. Get something to carve 

Go get some pumpkins! In Fort Collins, you are surrounded by several local farms that are happy to cater to your gourd-related needs. Go to The Bartels Farm or Something from the Farm. These locally operated and family-run businesses are available through the holiday and are excellent businesses to support while indulging in your spooky season must-haves. 

4. Learn about the spookiness 

If you’re an academic, Colorado State University has created the perfect event for you. Attend history professor Adam Thomas’ lecture on the architectural elements of haunted houses; “The Architectural Elements of Spookiness: A Halloween Lecture” is just the thing for horror history fanatics. You can attend in person Oct. 29 at Willard O. Eddy Hall in room 100 or virtually. 

5. Spend wisely 

If the main appeal of fall for you is investing in a cozy wardrobe, finishing up home-improvement and decorative projects or just going out and enjoying Old Town with friends on a yellow-and-orange painted backdrop, then check out the All For Fall Downtown Fort Collins event. Round up your purchase to the nearest dollar at participating businesses during the month of October, and your fun fall outing will directly support nonprofits that help strengthen the Fort Collins community. 

Though December seems to get all the hype for being the season of giving, Fort Collins certainly puts forth the effort to care year-round. Enjoy the spooky season by supporting your community. Whether it be giving treats to those in need, supporting local farms, supporting CSU or even just rounding up the cost of your new sweater from Kansas City Kitty, you have the power to spread the spookiness.

Reach Ivy Secrest at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @IvySecrest.