Simply Cooking with Sierra: Gluten-free pumpkin spice bread

Bread — we all love to consume it. Personally, I have a guilty pleasure for bread but recently had to switch over to the gluten-free lifestyle, which meant getting creative for my fix. Pumpkin bread is especially popular during this time of year, and it can be used as a side or a seriously delicious dessert. You’ve tried pumpkin bread with gluten, but have you tried pumpkin spice gluten-free bread?

Well, look no further because I have a ridiculously delicious, moist, gluten-free pumpkin spice bread recipe. The key is xanthan gum and pumpkin puree. The gum acts like gluten to hold everything together, creating something that is not dry and flaky like most gluten-free products you’ve probably tried.

It’s hard to find enjoyable gluten-free foods or desserts, but here, we have scored big time. You can save this for leftovers and, to be honest, the next-day flavor is always the best. If you are a fan of pumpkin and bread, you have to try this out.  

Two Vital Farms Alfresco Pasture-Raised Grade A Large Eggs: $5.49
One teaspoon cinnamon: $1.00 
One teaspoon pumpkin pie spice: $3.69   
One teaspoon Namaste Raw Goods Gluten-Free Xanthan Gum: $6.43 
Two cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour: $4.49
Three teaspoons baking powder: $1.59
One cup Simple Truth Original Oat Milk (or use your own dairy-free milk): $3.00
One cup Kroger 100% Pure Pumpkin pumpkin puree: $1.19 
One cup brown sugar: $2.99 
One teaspoon vanilla extract: $4.99 
3/4 cup granulated sugar: $1.89 
A dash of salt

As always, preheat that oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl or mixer, depending on what you have, add the eggs and beat them. Once that is done, on a low setting, mix in your vanilla, sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree and dairy-free milk.

Once you’ve done that for a minute or so, add in your baking powder, xanthan gum and all the spices and salt. Keep mixing on low or stirring with your whisk or spatula. Make sure your ingredients are mixed well and there are no clumps.

After you are clump-free, add in your gluten-free flour and mix either on medium speed or a bit faster for a couple of minutes.

After your ingredients are mixed thoroughly, set that aside and grease your bread pan. I used butter. Add your batter into the greased pan, and pop it in the oven for about an hour and 10 minutes. You can also check to see if a toothpick comes out clean when you put it in the middle of your bread. After that, take it out of the oven and let it cool. Enjoy! 

Sierra Grimm can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @CSURam5.