Flower Power Botanicals in Fort Collins Celebrates ‘420’ all April with these amazing Deals & Promotions:

In Colorado, April is always the month to celebrate, especially if you are a medical and recreational marijuana dispensary in Fort Collins. On...

CSU spring drag show, ‘Geek v. Glam,’ to occur Sunday, feature guest performer Raja Gemini

Special guest Gian Gunn performs at PRISM’s annual fall drag show in the LSC. (Davis Bonner | Collegian)

Get ready to werk. 

The Annual Colorado State Drag Show will occur this weekend with a guest performance by Raja Gemini, the season three winner of “Ru Paul’s Drag Race.” The show is called “Geek vs. Glam” and will showcase performances by Colorado State University students. 

Stephen Tafoya, a junior graphic design major, will be performing in the show as yungraccoon. 

“Expect a lot of different styles of drag,” Tafoya said.  “We were reaching out for the whole community to bring whatever they have to the table. Our community is so diverse anyway, so just expect the unexpected.” 

The “Geek v. Glam” drag show will be held on April 8 in the LSC Grand Ballroom. Doors open at 5 p.m., and the show will begin at 6 p.m.

Raja Gemini will be the special guest star of the show. She is known for snagging the crown on season three of the popular TV show, “Ru Paul’s Drag Race.” Her style focuses on couture designs with a unique spin.

“I feel like drag race is something that is super main stream right now, which is great because it’s getting out message out there,” Tafoya said. “It’s going to be awesome to see her.”

Drag is a form of expression as well as a performance. Tafoya started performing as a way to deal with social anxiety, and performing as yungraccoon has really helped him to come out of his shell, he said.  Tafoye started performing out in California three years ago.

“It is more of an outlet to express things that I usually don’t,” Tafoya said. “I consider myself an introvert, and I have social interaction issues so this is kind of my experiment to put on a different persona and kind of be as crazy as I want to.” 

Expect a lot of different styles of drag. We were reaching out for the whole community to bring whatever they have to the table.  Our community is so diverse anyway so just expect the unexpected.” Stephen Tafoya, a junior Graphic Design major and drag performer.

Luckily, CSU offers an inclusive environment for performers like Tafoya. The fact that there is a show is a testament to the inclusion on campus. 

“Show up earlier for the show definitely, and keep your mind open and expect everything and anything to happen,” Tafoya said. 

The “Geek v. Glam” drag show will be held on April 8 in the LSC Grand Ballroom. Doors open at 5 p.m. and the show will begin at 6 p.m.

Collegian reporter Claire Oliver can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @claire_oliver21.