Ramen to the rescue: Three recipes to make in your dorm kitchen

If you’re living in the dorms, odds are that you’re going to get sick of the dorm food. Every dorm has a communal kitchen, and if you can reserve it or at least rush down to the front desk to grab the key – the world is yours. Ramen is a staple for any young adult in college, or for anyone who’s pinching pennies, so why not make it delicious? We’ve got three recipes that use your favorite dry noodles in a classic stir-fry, breaded chicken fingers and even ramen crispy-treats.

Recipes from Ramen to the Rescue Cookbook by Jessica Harlan.

Quick Veggie Stir-Fry

If you don’t have all of these ingredients, especially when it comes to the sauces and vegetables, just sautéing whatever is in your freezer and mixing honey, soy sauce and the ramen seasoning for sauce works just fine.

Serves one

1 package ramen noodles, mushroom or miso flavor

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1/2 teaspoons sesame oil

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

1 1/2 cups frozen mixed stir-fry vegetables

1 teaspoon chopped fresh or jarred ginger

1 clove garlic, minced

1 large egg

1 tablespoon sesame seeds for garnish (optional)

1. Cook the ramen noodles in boiling water for three minutes, or according to the package directions (reserve the ramen seasoning). Drain and return to the pot to keep warm, covered, until needed. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 teaspoons ramen seasoning (discard the remainder), soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.

2. Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat, tilting the pan to coat it with the oil. Add the vegetables and cook, stirring frequently, for four to five minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds.

3. Add the noodles and the soy sauce mixture to the pan and stir, using the edge of a spatula to cut the noodles into smaller pieces. Stir-fry for two to three minutes. Break the egg into the middle of the pan and immediately begin stirring and breaking up the egg with the spatula until the egg is cooked through, 30-45 seconds.

4. Serve hot, sprinkled with sesame seeds if desire.

Ramen-Crusted Chicken Fingers with Honey Mustard Sauce

If you’re on a budget and can’t make it to Canes, or just want a slightly less-processed alternative, these chicken fingers will satisfy your craving in about 15 minutes with preparation and cook time.

Serves four

1 package of ramen noodles, chicken flavor

1/8 cup yellow mustard

1/8 cup honey

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken cutlets, cut into strips

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Break the ramen noodles into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the noodles are ground into small pieces, about the consistency of rolled oats. Transfer to a shallow bowl and mix with the ramen seasoning.

2. In a small bowl, stir together the mustard and honey. Spoon one to two tablespoons honey mustard into a second shallow bowl and reserve the rest for a dipping sauce.

3. Pat the chicken pieces dry and brush them with the honey mustard, then roll each piece in the ramen mixture, making sure to coat the chicken completely. Transfer the chicken pieces to the prepared baking sheet. Spray the chicken lightly with cooking spray and bake for ten minutes. Turn the chicken pieces over, spray lightly with the cooking spray again, and bake until the chicken is cooked through, five to ten minutes longer. If you cut into a piece of chicken, it should not be pink, and its internal temperature should measure 165 degrees Fahrenheit on a meat thermometer. Serve with the remaining honey mustard sauce or barbecue sauce.

Ramen-Mallow Crispy Treats

Four ingredients and a sweet snack at the end? It can’t get any better. Make your own rice crispy treats with some ramen, butter and marshmallows.

Makes four squares

1 package ramen noodles, any flavor

1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for preparing the pan

1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows

Pinch of salt

1. Butter a small (about five inches square) baking pan or heatproof plastic container. Crumble the ramen noodles into a medium bowl (discard the ramen seasoning). In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows and melt, stirring frequently, until they are smooth and completely melted. Remove from the heat, add the crumbled ramen noodles and salt, and stir to coat the noodles completely with the marshmallow mixture. Press the mixture into the prepared container, making sure it is an even thickness. Allow to cool completely before cutting.

Collegian Editor in Chief Bailey Constas can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.

Pick up the CSU Move-In Guide on stands now!