Spring Beers to Sip

Spring is in the air. We’re back from break and it’s finally warm enough to wear shorts and sandals. The Monfort Quad or Oval are now the best places to relax between classes. Most importantly, it’s time to find some booze to match the weather. While spring doesn’t have a distinct beer style like fall’s Oktoberfest or winter’s spiced ales, a variety of crisp, light beers will do. Grab one of these refreshing brews and soak in the sun.

Funkwerks Session Saison

Alcohol By Volume: 5%

A saison, French for “season,” is traditionally a beer drunk by farm workers during the warmer months. Funkwerks took their trademark saison and lowered the alcohol content, allowing it to be drunk multiple times a session. Cloudy and pale golden in color, the beer has a lemony aroma and taste. There’s also a slight hint of banana flavor in the finish. It’s almost like I’m back in Belgium drinking a Duvel to cool off. Funkwerks has managed to preserve all of the flavor, with none of the deliberating after-effects.

Sünner Kölsch

ABV: 5.4%

This is the one that started it all. Sünner was the first brewery to create this version of a German pale lager brewed only in Cologne. With a color like clear honey, along with a honey smell and taste, it’s hard to find a more fitting beer to enjoy during spring. It’s like drinking the nectar of the German beer gods. Aside from the pedigree, a slightly peppery finish makes it stand out from other lighter beers. The years of brewing such a prestigious style to perfection makes this my favorite beer listed here.

Firestone Walker Pivo Pils

ABV: 5.3%

With a bright white wine appearance, Firestone’s German and Czech pilsner hybrid has an aroma like grass on a dewy morning. My palate noticed crisp hops and spicy herb flavors first followed by subtle German malts. Lingering lemongrass notes make it a great beer to enjoy on a sunny spring day. Focusing on the earthy tones allows it to be well-balanced and not too much liked bitter grass or toasted bread. This is a quality award-winning pilsner that would make the Czechs and Germans proud.

New Belgium Yuzu Imperial Berliner Weisse

ABV: 8%

The hazy Berliner Weisse that’s unusually high in alcohol and crafted with strange ingredients makes this the odd one out, however, still a viable contender. The fruity aroma is strong, but not overbearing. The unique mandarin and grapefruit flavors are sweet and tart at the same time. The ABV turns out to not be an issue with carbonation keeping it light. I’ve never seen the fruit in person, but I now want to find one and try it raw. As always, New Belgium’s Lips of Faith series delivers with this truly wild experience.

If you can’t find any of these, look for a wheat beer, lager, or maibock brewed by your favorite company. Anything fresh or remotely in the vein of the season will work.

Collegian Entertainment Reporter Jefferson Geiger can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.