Fun Opportunities to Experience the Arts in Fort Collins

“Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder.” ~E.B. White

There is something for everyone in this city. Whether you love music, dance, theater, photography or art, Fort Collins is offering opportunities this April for all ages to get involved.  Now that we’re coming into spring, it is the perfect time to do something creative.

Experience New Worlds in the 3D Dome Theater

After April 17, The Fort Collins Museum of Discovery is opening the OtterBox Digital Dome for an immersive 360 degree experience of art, music and film. There is the choice from two different options, Crossing Worlds or The Sublime. Crossing Worlds is a visual tone poem, which is nature and landscape photography, paired with modern instrumental music. The Sublime is a combination of three dance films focusing on breakdancing and parkour with a background of upbeat dance music. The museum is open Tuesday through Sunday from 10 to 5 and costs from $6 to $9.50 depending on age. Members get in to the museum free and students get discounts, but the theater tickets are $7 for nonmembers.

Also at the museum are black footed ferrets. These little guys almost died out but the Black-
footed Ferret Recovery Implementation Team helped save the breed and now there are a couple in the museum’s Natural Areas exhibit.

Learn How to Contra Dance

Every first, third and fifth Saturday of the month, Friends of Traditional Dance offers Contra Dance lessons at Club Tico in City Park. Participants can get a free lesson from 7-8pm and then join in the dancing from 8-11pm. It is always done to live music (usually a Celtic band). Contra is an American folk dance, performed since the 18th square dance. The group is also selling tickets to their formal ball, the Wild Asparagus Ball, that is in Boulder on May 10 from 7:30-11:30pm. For more information visit www.fotd.org

Participate in the Kites in the Park Festival

Bring your kite to Spring Canyon Community Park on April 27 for the Seventh Annual Kites in the Park Festival. From 10am-4pm, people will come together and bring their kites to compete in Rokkaku Kite Fights and competitions, kids can get their face painted and make their own kites, and everyone can eat food and have a good time. The event is held to promote being green and raise awareness of natural resources like wind power and better yet, it’s free.

Visit the Lincoln Center

The center offers all types of performances and exhibits ranging from all types of music performances to dance pieces, art exhibits to film showings, and Operas to Ballets and Theater. Anyone can come see graduating students entering professional dance are visiting from Juilliard, Snow White the ballet, the Operas Così Fan Tutte, Arabella, I Puritani and Madama Butterfly,the play The City of Conversation, Film Society of Lincoln Center’s daily picks, music exhibits like

Portraits of Sound and Ladies and Gentlemen…The Beatles! and classical and jazz performances.

College Avenue reporter Jessica Fish can be reached at collegeavenue@collegian.com. Look for the Interviewing Guide issue of College Avenue on racks April 23rd!