Welcome to “Who Run The World: A Women’s Podcast.” This podcast series explores different aspects of womanhood in intersectional ways.
This episode is about women in the queer community — my guest is Shelby Thomas. We discuss queer theory, queer representation, what queer means and what queer looks like.
Want to know more? Here are some helpful links:
- Hierarchy within the queer community: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/colin-walmsley/the-queers-left-behind-ho_b_7825158.html
- Lack of diversity in queer media: http://fusion.net/story/286099/mykki-blanco-gay-media-so-white-magazine-covers/
- Queer theory: http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3424300651.html
- Queer as a verb: http://charlieglickman.com/queer-is-a-verb/
- Queering heterosexuality: http://slingshot.tao.ca/?p=115288
- The whitewashing of Stonewall: http://www.dailydot.com/lifestyle/stonewall-lgbt-twitter-whitewashing-backlash/
- Reclaiming the word “queer”: http://www.pride.com/queer/2015/8/04/6-reasons-you-need-use-word-queer
- Straight-passing privilege: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jodi-savitz/my-neverending-coming-out-story_b_4151178.html
- Sheila Katz: http://ejewishphilanthropy.com/hillels-sheila-katz-inspiring-others-to-make-an-impact/
This is a 5-part series. See the rest of the episodes here.
Collegian Writer Catie Perry can be reached at email@example.com or on Twitter @perrycatie.